Nonimmigrant Visas Temporary Workers Change of Status
Family Visas Permanent Workers Adjustment of Status
Religious Visas Green Cards Citizenship

Home       About Us       Resources      Free Consultation      Contact Us   

Outstanding Professor/Researcher (EB1)

Overview of the Outstanding Professor or Researcher (EB1 Visa): The E12 immigrant visa is designed for "outstanding" academic professors and researchers who can demonstrate a high level of accomplishment in their fields. The category is available to individuals who can demonstrate they are recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic area, have at least 3 years of teaching or research in that field of endeavor, and will teach or carry out research in that field in the US.

The general criteria for general criteria for classification in this category are that the applicant have at least three years of teaching and/or research experience and be able to demonstrate "outstanding" achievements in the field of endeavor. There must be an offer of employment in the field. If the offer of employment is from an accredited university, then it must be for a tenure or tenure-track position. Otherwise the employment offer must be for a permanent research position with an employer that has at least three full-time researchers and has achieved documented accomplishments in that field.

Note that prospective immigrants cannot sponsor themselves for this immigrant visa; the petition can only be filed by an employer.

In order to qualify, the following requirements must be satisfied:

At least two of the following:

  • Documentation of the alien's receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
  • Documentation of the alien's membership in associations in the academic field, which require outstanding achievements of their members;
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the alien's work in the academic field. Such material shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation;
  • Evidence of the alien's participation, either individually or on a panel, as the judge of the work of others in the same or an allied academic field;
  • Evidence of the alien's original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the academic field; and
  • Evidence of the alien's authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the academic field.
In addition to the above-listed documentation of the applicant's personal credentials, the petition must be accompanied by an offer of employment for the immigrant to work in the field of endeavor. The employment offer must come from either:
  • an institution of higher education (The job offered must be a tenure or tenure-track position); or
  • a company with an established research department.
  • the company must show that it already employs at least three full-time researchers and that there have been documented achievements by the company's research staff.

Client Login     CIS Forms and Fees     CIS Processing Times     Visa Bulletin     Consultation and Fees     Disclaimer

©2007, The Law Offices of Seth W. Spellman, III. All rights reserved.