Nonimmigrant Visas Temporary Workers Change of Status
Family Visas Permanent Workers Adjustment of Status
Religious Visas Green Cards Citizenship

Home       About Us       Resources      Free Consultation      Contact Us   

Nurses/Physical Therapist (EB3)

If you are a nurse or physical therapist, you will file an I-140 immigrant petition for classification as an EB3 Professional/Skilled Worker.

Registered Nurses

RNs must apply to the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) to have their credentials evaluated. They must apply for the organizationís new VisaScreen.

RNís have a choice regarding the English examination. They may pass either the examination offered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) or by the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB).

The nurse must submit evidence of passing the VisaScreen and either the ETS or the MELAB English exam to the Embassy (or Consulate) on or after the day of her immigrant visa interview. If the RN is applying for a green card in the U.S., she/he must present evidence to the CIS as part of the adjustment of status application.

Occupational Therapists

OTís must apply for their credentials evaluation with the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).

Unlike RNs, they have no choice but to take the ETS English exam which is the only such examination accepted by the NBCOT.

The therapist must submit her NBCOT certification and evidence of passing the ETS English exam to the Embassy (or Consulate) on or after the day of her immigrant visa interview. If she is applying for a green card in the U.S., she must present them to the BCISas part of her adjustment of status application.

Specific State Requirements

The specific state licensing requirements can be found at the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.

Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker

A petition must be filed on Form I-140. 11 Other than the I-140, the G-28, and one set of original ETA forms, all other supporting documents can be photocopies. Documents in a language other than English must be translated into English. A separate petition must be filed for each beneficiary, along with the applicable fee and the following documents:
  • 1. Form I-140;
  • 2. Form ETA 750 A, in duplicate (it is suggested to also file Form 750B, if available);
  • 3. CGFNS certificate and/or current nursing license from the state of intended employment;
  • 4. nursing diploma or degree;
  • 5. nursing registration from the country where the nurse received nursing education;
  • 6. copy of required posting;
  • 7. proof of ability of prospective employer to pay the wage (a letter from a financial officer of an employer with 100 or more employees, or copy of annual report, federal tax return, or audited financial statement if employees number fewer than 100); and,
  • 8. marriage certificate.

Client Login     CIS Forms and Fees     CIS Processing Times     Visa Bulletin     Consultation and Fees     Disclaimer

©2007, The Law Offices of Seth W. Spellman, III. All rights reserved.